Friday, December 26, 2014

A laundry list of things I did with a huge donation

Hi everyone! So I have now been home for about 3.5 weeks. But I have so many things that I missed blogging about. I had computer trouble for the past 10 months and finally gave up on it in July, then I sold it so I could go on safari one more time. So worth it! There is a huge thing I want to blog about!

Towards the end of my time in Malawi I decided to get the preschool in the village up and running again. It had been shut down about a year or so before I got there because they did not have a kitchen and bathroom. It was a health hazard for kids to be peeing and pooping out on the grounds around the school. Because this project would cost just a little bit of money, nobody in the village was willing or able to fund the project. I went to my great group of resources and gave a small list of things I wanted for the preschool. The next day, a nurse from Children's Mercy Hospital (she does not wish to be named) sent me $500. I was so overwhelmed and humbled by this huge donation, I was almost not sure what to do with all of it. Here's where the money went:






  1. A one time salary for the teachers and cook. They work on the hopes that the parents will pay the monthly fee of 100 kwacha, that's about $0.20. They then have to use part of the money for salt and matches, for cooking porridge. The rest needs to be split three ways. They are basically making nothing for all of the work they put in. I wanted them to feel proud of the work they do and compensated for it. They are doing a great job and I want them to keep working hard, even with me gone. 
  2. The construction of the kitchen and toilet. 
  3. Paint to make the place look slightly less like being in solitary confinement in the federal penitentiary. Don't judge the work of the paintings, I'm way less than pleased with it, but I did not have a lot of options. The kids love it, so it was good enough for me.
  4. Dishes, buckets, soap, and floor mats.
  5. Furniture to actually organize the teaching materials and dishes.
  6. Teaching materials such as; books, and games.
  7. Fruit trees to be planted around the perimeter of the school. This was supposed to be done after I have left. I will be updated on it.
  8. Tylenol for people that would come to my home.
  9. Formula for a severely underweight infant.
  10. Money to get a very sick child to an area hospital and onto the best public hospital in the country. She returned home before I left, she seemed better, since I was not with her, I was unable to know what they really did. I have emailed to ask for an update on her current health status. 
  11. Soccer balls for the girls in the village and one for an area team.
I'm sure there are more things I'm forgetting since my list is not with me. But the point is, this money went far and did so much good! Seeing the preschool finally open and running was so rewarding! Even the days where I was singing as loud as I could over two screaming children, one had his feelings very hurt because I sent him to the corner. The other one was pissed that he had to go to preschool. He was about two years old, his brother brought him and the kid immediately decided he did not want to be there. I closed the door and tried to trap him in. That resorted to him swinging bags of mangoes at me and screaming as loud as he could scream. Yes, this was in the concrete room with a tin roof, I told you it was like the pen. That place was pretty echo-y and loud. I was trying my best to sing as loud as I could over the beatings and screaming. Of course I was alone this day, my Chichewa is good enough for preschool, but that day I wish I had help. Even though I decided if I were a preschool teacher as my full-time profession, I would be an alcoholic, I still loved my time there. I loved it most when I got to sit back and watch Mary teach. She is amazing with the kids. They learn so well when she teaches. I am confident that things are running smoothly with her in charge. 

The underweight infant was also rapidly gaining weight with the assistance of formula. The mother had been mixing his formula wrong, she was only adding 1/10th of the amount of formula to water that was needed. After some good education to Mom and Dad, and providing formula, the baby was doing much better. He had been sick with respiratory issues and in the hospital, he was what I call a noisy kid, I'm sure he needed scoped. But I had been in Malawi long enough to know that was going to happen. I hope he is doing well and starting to catch up to the weight of his twin sister, who is a fatty. 

Thank you again to the donor of the money. It made my last couple of months in Malawi some of the most productive I had while I was there. I hope the preschool will be a lasting change that will greatly benefit the children of the community. I believe if they go into first grade with some education they will be able to grasp the material better and be more interested in school. Martha used to walk with a little bag and say she was going to go to school like her sister, we would find her on the path pouting because she could not go to school. I'm so happy that the donation has allowed her to go to school, my favorite thing is seeing her learn and grow. 

My last day of preschool. I cried and scared all of the kids.

Finished project!




Playing, follow the leader. I loved to make them dance and spin and circles and then run.

The parents provide flour for the porridge and then it is cooked at the school. 

How we walked home from preschool everyday. Martha would say, "Goodbye teacher!" Then look at me and say, "Tien" Which means let's go.

Doing the limbo. It's too bad my back is terrible and too tight for me to demonstrate, but they thought it was fun.

The only time it is quiet. It's the best quiet I have ever heard.

Boyle is an excellent block builder.

Roderick is the underweight baby on my back. 

Mary teaching vowels.

Kate, Martha, and me. It was a constant fight for my lap. 

Praying before eating porridge.

My girl Bridget would eat about four bowls of porridge every day.



Me doing "men's work" and helping build the toilet.

The sponsored girls doing community service and helping clean and putting a base coat on the pen.



Maybe next week when I have a house to myself, a laptop, and wifi, I will do more blogging!


















No comments:

Post a Comment